Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Missouri Deer Bow Season

I have to admit, I'm not much of a bow hunter, the last two deer I took were with a .44 mag with a 10.5 inch barrel. I love hunting with a handgun, and I am working on my bow skills. Last year I had an elbow injury, I got a waiver from the Missouri Department of Conservation to allow me to use a crossbow.

I'm not one to claim disability, but I disagree with Missouri's stance that a crossbow is a firearm. Since I could hardly pull a bow I figured, what the heck at least I can use a crossbow.

I arrowed two deer, but I never found either one of them, My grandson Cody helped me track one of them, but when the blood trail ran out we had no idea where to look. I hate to leave a wounded animal, but sometimes it happens and you just cannot find the poor creature you injured.

This year I intend to practice up a bit more, hopefully refining my skills. But I watched those arrows hit vital parts last year, not being an experienced bow hunter I was quite surprised that those deer did not fall where we could find them.

I was hunting in densely forested areas, with massive undergrowth that prevented access to some areas. This year I plan to do a bit more ground work and hopefully I will be able to track them.

One of them jumped a railroad track, while waiting for her to bleed out a freight train came by; by the time it passed, there was no sign of the deer.

I'm not a trophy hunter, I hunt for meat. I prefer young deer, does, and tender venison.

I have several places I can go, unfortunately some of them are far too popular and I have to compete with many other hunters.

I've placed some salt licks in a few out of the way places, we will see what happens this year.

PS click on the ads, I need the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment